Useful Information

This section of the site should help you find all the information you need in helping you understand what you need know before getting on a bike.

Use the links on the left handside to navigate this page.

Licence Information

The Full Licence

The four stages towards getting your full UK motorcycle licence are as follows.
It is a minimum requirement that you hold a provisional licence,  applications are sent to the DVLA. The CBT course is the next step. Completing the basic training course awards you a DL196 certificate. This will be valid for two years, and within those two years you will then need to complete a Theory Test. These are sat at various DVSA centres throughout the country. Once you hold all of the above requirements, a valid UK licence, a DL196 Certificate and a valid Theory Test certificate, motorcycle training sessions and tests can be booked.


If You Hold A Full UK Car Drivers Licence

if you have a car licence...
If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales). A Moped is any 50cc motorcycle that is restricted to approximately 30mph.

If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.


16 Years Old - What can you ride.

If you are 16 and want to ride a moped or scooter on the road you must have completed a compulsory basic training course to validate your provisional licence.

If you are 16 and want to ride a moped or scooter on the road you must have completed a compulsory basic training course to validate your provisional licence.

What is a moped?
A moped is a two wheeled machine that:

-does NOT exceed 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)
-has an engine capacity of no greater than 50 cc
-can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977

Moped provisional licences
You can only hold a provisional moped licence if you are at least 16 years old. It entitles you to ride a moped on the road as a learner with L-plates (D-plates in Wales) but you must not carry a pillion passenger or go on a motorway.

Your provisional licence is only valid when you have the DL 196 certificate issued on completion of compulsory basic training (CBT) by an approved training body (ATB).

A CBT certificate obtained on a moped is also valid for motorcycles once the rider has reached the age of 17 years and has the necessary licence.

You must pass a theory and a practical test if you want to ride a moped on the road without displaying L-plates.

CBT and Theory Info

What Is A CBT?

Compulsory basic training (CBT) was introduced in 1990 to help reduce the accident rate among inexperienced motorcyclists. CBT must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride on the road with L-plates or D-plates in Wales.

You need a CBT if:
-You want to ride a moped (with an engine not exceeding 50 cc, that will not exceed 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) which is approximately 31 miles per hour)
-You want to ride a motorcycle (which at CBT level, an engine that does not exceed 125cc or 11kw)
-You want to take a Full Motorcycle Tests.

What does the CBT course involve.
The CBT course consists of five elements:

A. An introduction, and a Briefing on the associated clothing and legal requirements.
B. Practical on-site training - including an introduction to the machine and manual handling.
C. Practical on-site riding - includes slow control exercises and other manouevers to develop control.
D. Practical on-road training - which involves a question and answer session relating to the Highway Code.
E. Practical on-road riding - a road ride to further develop skills and handling to ensure an individuals ability to ride independantly.

The five elements have to be completed in sequence, although the order of the exercises within the element can be varied. You will only move on to the next element when your instructor is satisfied you have learnt the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to a safe basic level.


Students will be issued a Certificate of completion (DL 196) When all five elements have been satisfactorily completed (this may take more than one day). This is a legal document which validates the relevant entitlements on your driving licence.

A CBT cetificate holder (DL196) must consider the following points:

-a DL196 certificate that validates a provisional moped or provisional motorcycle entitlement lasts for two years - The CBT will have to be retaken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the two year certificate life.
-for moped entitlement only, if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL196 is still current or complete a CBT course and obtain a DL196 after passing your car test, the certificate is not subject to expiry, you will therefore need to keep your DL196 certificate safe. (duplicates can be obtained from the training body that provided the course, fees apply).
Please note that this applies to mopeds only, for riding motorcycles as a learner the DL196 remains valid for two years

Who provides courses, and what is included.
Only instructors certified by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) can conduct CBT courses at an approved training body (ATB), and at a site approved by the DVSA for the off-road training elements.
We offer the loan of machines, helmets and gloves which is included in the cost of CBT. The CBT cost may be included into the price of a Direct/Restricted access training course.

Important :
At any point throughout the CBT the course instructor may stop the session and require the student to consider a further booking. This may be due to health and safety reasons, or the welfare of the student. If this is the case the instructor will explain why and answer any questions.


The Theory Test?

A theory test certificate is NOT required for a CBT course, but a good knowledge of the High Way code is essential. Students may not be able to complete the CBT course and be awarded with a DL196 if it is felt they do not have sufficient knowledge of the Rules Of The Road. (this includes road signs, markings and junctions)

A theory test IS required if the student wishes to take a practical motorcycle test. The theory test must be presented to the examiner at the start of the test. Training for the motorcycle test may be carried out without a theory test certificate.


Theory Test Information

Find Your Nearest Test Centre Book Online

The Theory Test will gauge your knowledge and understanding of riding theory, essential to improving your practical riding skills.

The multiple choice test for motorcycle riders has 50 questions, each with a list of potential answers. You need to choose the correct answer (or answers). You will have 57 minutes to complete this test, as you would in a real test. To pass you need to answer at least 43 of the 50 questions correctly . If you don't complete the test in time your score will be calculated from the questions you did answer. There is also a practical Hazard Perception test where you will shown a video of a number of road situations and scenarios in real time as if you are the rider. It is required that you click on the Hazards as they develop. The test is marked on your ability to identify the developing hazard and click at the appropriate time. The Pass mark is awarded if you score above 44 clicks out of a total of 75.

Once you have completed the test you will be told whether you have passed or failed.

To Book A Theory Test Ring: 0300 200 11 22

Course Details

Licences and Ages Explained

Direct access is a scheme which allows a person:
At the age of 17 years (minimum): take a practical riding test (A1 category) on a machine of at least 120cc - 125cc, which has an output that does not exceed 11kw / 14.6 Bhp, and is capable of at least 55 Mph.

At the age of 19 years (minimum): take a practical riding test (A2 category) on a machine which is a minimum of 395cc, which has an output of between 20 - 35kw / 33 - 46.6 Bhp. There is no upper CC for the A2 Catergory, however the power to weight ratio must not exceed 0.2kw / kg.

( Note. The Horsepower (BHP) must not be derived from more than double the engines original power;  E.g.  A motorcycle previously of 90 Bhp, cannot be restricted to 46.6 Bhp, as 46.6 Bhp is more than half of its original 90 Bhp.)

Progressive Access Explained.

If you have completed and passed your practical tests at 19 years old, and have held your A2 licence for 2 years, you are eligible to take the A Category practical tests:

At the age of 21 Years: take a practical riding test (A category) on a machine of at least 595cc which has an output of at least 50 kw, and has a minimum weight of 180kg.

At the age of 24 (if not followed the progressive access route from 19 years): take a practical riding test (A category) on a machine of at least 595cc which has an output of at least 50 kw, and has a minimum weight of 180kg.
A pass for the A catergory licence allows you to ride any size of motorcycle.
Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the learner motorcycle specification and licence entitlement must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor who should be in radio contact. You should also wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions.

Test Information

The 2 Part Motorcycle Test

The test comprises of two modules.


Manouevers are conducted at specific speeds and will be tested in an off-road DVSA site and take on average 20 minutes.

These manoeuvres are:
-Manual handling.
-Four manoeuvres carried out at slow speed, including a slalom, figure of 8, U turn and straight line control.
-Two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph), including Emergency stop, and High Speed avoidance.
Candidates taking module 1 will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate their riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. Please note that the standard off-road layout may differ dependant on location.

Candidates who are not successfull and do NOT pass Module 1 will not be permitted to take Module 2.
Candidates who have passed Module 1 will receive a Test Pass Certificate which they must bring with them when attend Module 2.

The practical moped riding test:

The practical moped riding test (which does not include the high-speed requirements) will also be carried out in two modules. The obstacle avoidance and emergency braking exercises will be carried out in Module 1 at 30 km/h (approx. 19 mph). A test for the drivers of motorcycle and side car combination is also under development.
Unsuccessfull Candidates
If you fail your module 1 test, you must wait for a period of three working days before you are able to re-book.



The practical motorcycle test consists of different elements,
an eyesight test,
vehicle safety questions,
a test of driving ability,
a test of specific manoeuvres
a question about riding with a passenger.
At the test centre you must present a valid certificate DL196 unless the test is being conducted on one of the exempted islands. A rider who is upgrading a full moped licence obtained by passing a two part test since December 1990 is exempt.


Your practical riding test begins with the examainer checking your documents, that include the candidates licence, theory test, cbt, and if sitting module 2 the module 1 pass certificates. The examiner will explain how the test will be conducted and if module 2, help with the fitting of the radio and earpiece.

Note: It is a legal requirement to wear a fastened motorcycle safety helmet. An exemption to this requirement exists for followers of the Sikh religion if they are wearing a turban.

After the practical part of the test the candidate will be asked a question relating to carrying a passenger.

At the end of the test when the practical test is over, the examiner will tell you whether you have passed or failed and will give feedback on your test.

On passing your module 2 test, the examiner will ask you if you want your full driving licence issued to you automatically. If you want to use this service, the examiner will send your licence electronically to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You will then be given a pass certificate to prove you passed your test.
DVLA will then send you your new full licence by post within three weeks of you passing your practical test. If you pass your test but do not want to use this automatic service, or have a licence issued before 1 March 2004, you will be given a pass certificate by the examiner. On the back of the pass certificate it tells you what you need to do next. This involves sending your licence to DVLA who will then check your application and issue you with a new full licence.

Unsuccessfull candidates
If you fail the test the examiner will offer feedback to help prepare yourself for your next test. Your driving report form will identify faults that can be addressed with your instructor. You must wait ten clear working days after your practical test before you can re-book.

(Motorcycle Jackets and Boots must be supplied by the student and must be worn for any Practical DVSA Licence Tests)


Minimum Test Vehicle Requirements

Any vehicle presented for use in a driving test must meet minimum test vehicle standards. These standards are part of European Community legislation on driver licensing. Great Britain as a member of the European Union is obliged to comply with these requirements. Go to for details on the minimum test vehicle requirements for mopeds and motorcycles.


Helpful Information